Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clackamas River Trail

Clackamas River Trail
Today I saw the light. In exercise you have hills and you have plateaus. I am on the edge, and I can feel it in my speed, the lightness of my feet, and the effortlessness of my stride. At first my injury really upset me. It made me angry at my body. This is something everybody faces. No one is exempt, and its as if in order to achieve a higher level in the sport you first have to pay for it. Running, tests your commitment by throwing these little curve balls.

Today I traveled to Oregon City and ran  4 miles along the Clackamas River Trail.  This is by far one of my favorite places to run. It is just this incredible path that stretches along the river for miles on end. It was one of those days where it was cold, but with no rain. In Portland  you learn to appreciate the sunshine, and today was bright. I can't even describe how beautiful it was. It was like the sunlight caught every particle in the air and these particles just glittered.

For me Oregon City has a lot of bad memories. In the past when I would drive by Oregon City I would cringe inside, and try and pass by it quickly. I could almost see the girl I was standing along the side of the road, who hated her body, relied on others for validations and struggled to be happy. Running here is very therapeutic because running allows me to reclaim this space and my power in this space. That sounds corny, but bare with me. Running empowers you; it makes you feel strong, and competent. In a place/city where I felt lost, I am now powerful. This is my favorite thing about running. It allows you to redefine yourself as an individual capable of enduring great adversity. When I run, I am the person I want to be..

On a lighter note, I can really feel myself getting ready to make a lot of progress, and I am excited for this to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment