Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Life in O City

So I am now living in Oregon City. It is a strange city/town. It is on the brink of being a small town, but struggles do so in the face of the big city. I think that is why I like it the way I do. Originally I chose this place because it was close to work, was affordable, gave Greg the privacy he wanted, and gave us access to Salem.

Where I am living is on top of a hill and I often run to the bottom, to the main highway, and along the Clackamas river. The surface is really way to hard for running on, but you know the truth is I do it anyway. I like to look at all the old historic buildings built before 1900, back when Oregon didn't have much a white modern identity. It is strange to think that so many people traveled from all over the world to come to the U.S and then they packed their wagons, and walked to Oregon City.  Oregon City sits at the end of the Oregon trail, it is the first town in Oregon, and of all the places that people could have stopped those settlers chose this place. It is almost kind of mystical if you think about it.

Anyways I have begun to pray that the restlessness inside me will be at peace. That I will be able to stay in one place, and I think that if I could do it anywhere it would be here. The other day I watched a documentary that said that African Nomads saw houses as coffins for the living.  I understood exactly what that meant. It made me sad, because I think that there are only a few things in life that are innate, and that feeling of restlessness is one of those innate primal components. It is the cavewoman in me...

Still life is good. Running is good, and I am enjoying the journey, no matter where it takes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment