Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eugene Marathon Contact High

This weekend I attended the Eugene Marathon, 2 hours south of Portland. I went to see my friend Denise from Colorado, and to watch her husband, Justin run in the marathon. Justin was here to try to qualify for the Olympic Trials. There were seven thousand people who ran the course combined, and as I watched every one get ready at the starting line, ready to run the race, I was a little overwhelmed. There were so many people like me, who have spent hours and miles training to run long distance. It was inspiring, and I am so glad that I went. (Although, a little sad that I wasn't running with them).

As strange as it may be the most inspiring thing that I saw the whole day was my friend's marriage. It takes a lot of sacrifice for Justin to run the way he does, on everyone's part. Still their sacrifice seems to strengthen their commtiment to one another.  Their love is deepened by helping one another to achieve their goals.....I mean it is insipring to watch. The whole time that Justin was running, and Denise and I kept trying to find him on the course, I could tell that she was out there with him.

You know I have girlfriends who complain about their husbands, and who seem to embody the saying "old married couple". Denise and Justin have been together for 10 years, but you would think that they are in their first months of dating. I think that part of their love has to be built on running.

Justin did not qualify for the Olympic trials but he did win the marathon. Honestly, I think that if he had someone to run with him for the last 10k, if he had, had someone to compete with and push him, than I think he would have gotten that Olympic trial time. Still, it was pretty cool to share in that winning moment as he entered Hayward field and finished. It was inspiring to watch everyone finish.

 I feel renewed in my commitment to running longer distances. I know I need to be patient in rebuilding my miles, but I am excited to start trying again.

This week my goal is to run a longer distance than the distance that I ran last week.

2 comments:

  1. It's super great that you two got to hang out! We'll have to go run while you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so bizzarre to have my Colorado friends in Oregon!! But wonderful. I am sort of dreading running in Colorado, you know since I have been running at sea level. Maybe we can do a race together??

    ReplyDelete